Pages

Saturday 10 March 2012

Back in the game?

As you know I have had ridiculous technical issues with my blog which have meant I have been completely out of the loop for ages now.


As a result I kind of fell out of love with it, partly also due to a complete lack of time and feeling perhaps I had run out of things to say (as if).


Well, a couple of things have spurred me on to get back in the game...


The first, a double blind date with Fee to meet Emily who writes the fab blog Unravelled. Fee will no doubt have pictures so I will leave it there but shall we say the date seemed to go really well (oh God, hope this isn't one of those situations like in Guardian magazine where one party clearly had a better time than the other, though to be fair with it being the Guardian they are generally all quite PC and middle class polite so maybe I am o.k?) Anyway our lovely coffee date reminded me of what blogging can bring. 


The second, well I just missed the other blogs I used to read so regularly. The stories, the inspiration, the photos, the giveaways (though I was yet to win one). All such good fun. I had made my peace with not continuing my blog as a diary, since my initial goal was to blog about my pregnancy and I actually made it through Mabel's whole first year. But I didn't seem to have any extra time through stopping and actually I do find writing quite cathartic sometimes.


So here I am trying again. Not going to get frustrated. Not going to get all 'shutters down' if I can't upload a picture. Going to try on blogger and then if it doesn't work commit to setting up a new blog after today and linking it across. 


Oh and there was a story I meant to tell...


 It goes a little like this. Mabel and I started swimming lessons this week. I thought I would be all organised and put my swimmers on under my clothes prior to going and when I got there was really glad I had since the changing rooms were communal and tiny (it was at a hotel pool). The lesson went really well and Mabel, despite being the eldest by 6 months and therefore looking and sounding like a hooligan, did brilliantly with her first underwater swim.


Anyhow, we all left the pool and huddled into same said small changing rooms. Conscious that my baby (yes I know she is a toddler, in denial) could walk I let the others use the main bench along the middle and I stood awkwardly against a sink on one side. Mabel was far from pleased with the scenario of being changed on a towel on the floor but I persisted and set her up with a snack whilst I got dressed.


And then I realised the error of my previously organised ways. I hadn't brought any underwear. 
Nothing.
No knickers, no bra. What the hell was I going to do?
Stood there in a dripping wet bikini I eyed up my options in a slight state of panic. There was a toilet. But I couldn't leave Mabel in the communal area perched on a towel surrounded by an otherwise wet floor. And taking her with me was surely not feasible both on a hygiene and space front.


There was nothing for it. I would have to wait until everyone else was ready then get dressed. 
I pretended to be tidying up my things, fed Mabel some of her fruit (was looking at me like, 'back off, I want to feed myself thank you). But they were taking ages. All had young, screaming babies to dress and there was only so long I could stand around looking odd and now cold. 


So in my wisdom I decided to try and hold the towel up with my chin and pretend to put on my knickers followed by my jeans. Yep that's right, I mimed putting on underwear (which according to my brother is worse than just pretending I always go commando). 
It seemed to go o.k, there was a slight issue around zipping my jeans up in a hurry which I'm sure you can appreciate  (why do people go commando?) but at least I was half way there. I turned to pop my towel on the sink whilst I 'pretended' to get a bra and realised my biggest error of the day.
I was stood in front of a whopping great mirror. I had just mimed putting on underwear in front of a mirror. 


Devastating. 
I didn't bother with any further amateur dramatics, just shoved on my vest and felt the relief of it being a dark blue stripe and not white or more see through.


It crossed my mind to just announce to the group,
"argh I've done that thing where you forget to bring your underwear, ha ha" but just wasn't sure how it would go down. You don't want people to not laugh or worse think you are looking for offers of borrowed knickers. Or offering to try and help in some way. Argh just too cringy. 


So I don't know if I can go back. Well I do. It costs us £10 a week and luckily my frugality overshadows my pride / self respect. Hmm something in that!

7 comments:

  1. Hoooray - you're back in the room.
    It was lovely to meet Emily wasn't it? I've noticed a distinct lack of gushing over at unravelled - hope you're reading this new friend!!!
    Love the swimming story - although to be fair - it would have been MUCH worse if it had been me. Not only can I simply NOT do up my jeans with out some HUGE granny knickers on, my boobs would have been BELOW my top without their scaffolding!
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay your back!! :-) I'm so pleased as I love reading your blog and all of you funny stories.
    As usual, you had me laughing out loud at the idea of hurried zipping of the jeans when going commando! haha
    You definitely have to go back, if the other women are normal then they would have just found the situation as funny as it is for us to read about it.
    Laughing at Fee's comment... you both have The best sense of humour, it sounds like it would be amazing to be part of your family..!

    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is flipping hilarious!!!! Oh my god, I just snorted so loud...... ha ha ha. LOVE IT! Welcome back love, you were missed.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny... its just the kind of thing I'd do! So so funny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mimed putting pants on?! Well, what can one say to that!!! Ha ha haaaa!

    Good to have you back. Bloomin blog gremlins. I tried Typepad once, didn't like it. Much prefer blogger. Maybe you could just get a new blogger account?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever seen that card where there's a punk and a granny at the bus stop and the punk's wearing a t- shirt that says 'show us your tits' and the granny lifts up the hem of her skirt....? (kills me every time) well that's what it would be like if it had been me in that situation. Had to take my bra off whilst still wearing my top, for and MRI scan on Saturday - felt very wrong to be walking around with my bosoms swinging freely...
    X
    Ps - v pleased you're back in the land of blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're back! Nightmare mime situation, I forgot a towel when I went to the gym the other day and had to dry myself on my sweat towel which is the size of a postage stamp and was, well, covered in sweat - great! x

    ReplyDelete

Ooh I do love to read your comments, thank you x